Wednesday, August 16, 2006

No Politics, Please, I Haven't Had My Coffee Yet

I've got political views (although I live in DC, I've never worked for a political party or rep - disclaimer lol). But I usually don't have them at 7:30 in the morning when I'm trying to get to a meeting and haven't had any coffee yet -having just barely made it out of the house in clothes and with my purse to begin with.

So I have to get the driver who REALLY wants to talk about the people being held in Britain for the liquid/gel airline bombing plan. He definately had some pretty strong views on the topic, and I probably agreed with one or two and would have been glad to hear / debate / chat on all of it.

But not at 7:30 in the morning - and not without any coffee!!!!

Take pity on the poor riders when you launch into your political lectures. Grunting/nodding and ignoring means "Please let me get coffee first!!!"

6 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

Who are these people? Communists? Coffee first. Re-enter the world, second.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger wil said...

Actually, its "Coffee First"
Then "Brain Orientation" and finally (& reluctently) "Re-enter the World".

The last one is solely at the option of the individual.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Joann said...

I rather talk about myself. ha-ha.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger CharterJames said...

Just like at the office, during initial training, taxi drivers here are advised to stay away from politics, religion, and sex. One cab driver bought himself a month suspension of his license. It was during the Republican National Convention in NY. In a political conversation with a woman he took a pro-republican stance. As I understand it, it was more or less just to play a mild devil's advocate to the views she was thrusting at him. Anyway she complained and showed up at the hearing too. Don't know about the coffee situation, but he definitely was toast.

Best driver politico I have had was on a Sunday morning. Hadn't drunk any coffee yet, but I may have had a take out styrofoam in a bag in my hand. I, and my family, were on our way to an early morning little league game. I think this guy'd been driving all night. I'd sat in the front, my family in the back. Anyway we got onto the book he was writing. Among other things he was pretty intense that I should understand that the CIA is currently hiring people to go around to public libraries and keep certain books continuously checked out in order to keep them out of the hands of the public. He even pulled over to the side of the street for a while to explain some of the more involved concepts.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger DC Cab Rider said...

charterjames - Well, how lucky of you to have drawn that driver. It reminds me of the guy who used to stand on the corner of Connecticut & K in DC with a large sign that read, "The CIA speaks to me through the screen at the Circle Theater." Of course maybe they were giving him directions to finding those books. Ya never know ;)

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger Mark said...

i'm sure taxi drivers tell us these stories as an internal joke thing.

i can imagine back at the taxi rank there's a leaderboard for the driver who's told the best stories to passengers :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home