Sunday, July 23, 2006

DC Driver Residency Needed?

In the past, DC has invoked residency requirements for various workers (emergency services, teachers, etc.,) for short periods before folks object too strenuously. The problem with living in the city you work in? Well for most people, the salaries they make in DC don't come anywhere close to paying for what it costs to live in DC.

In today's Post Metro section, there was an article that noted that the 2001 law that permitted only city residents to register their vehicles in the District is about to be enforced for taxi & limo drivers. The DC Professional Taxicab Drivers Association filed suit to suspend the law. The article also notes that about 80% of the 7,500 drivers live outside the city. That sounds about right by my completely unscientific poll of drivers I've ever chatted with about living in the area. I have yet to meet one who says he (or she) lives in DC outside of one of my blog contributors ;).

My favorite quote in the story is from a guy arguing against the ruling who says "They want taxis here to be run like big business . . . But you won't get the friendly, singing cabdrivers anymore."

Ok, I don't know who he's talking about, but the only singing cabdriver I've run across lately was that very creepy one I wrote about below.

3 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Blogger Paradise Driver said...

I don't agree with a residency requirement for anyone, private or public sector, but I do think the vehicles should be registered in the city.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Mad Cabbie said...

Those retards at the DMV are trying to avoid cashing in about over $2 million a year they generate from 7000+ cab drivers.

dccr please read my post " What Happened Carol?"

Mad.

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home