Sunday, October 21, 2007

Meters

I've been asking every cab driver I've seen lately what he thinks about meters (and they're all he's. I've run into only 2 women cab drivers in my life - another blog for another time). The Post reports that cabbies will be striking because they don't want the meters. But my very informal and unscientific survey finds a number of drivers who think meters will be a good idea. I asked one if he was pro-meter because he'd be taking people from National Airport to downtown DC through Anacostia. But he assured me that he was pro meter simply because it's such a problem with tourists. Even when they're being charged correctly, they assume they're being ripped off because there's no meter.

On the other hand, I had one driver who was so mad about meters that I thought he was going to turn around and throw ME out of the cab! He was gesturing wildly in his rant against cabs - and thankfully the traffic wasn't too challenging - so we survived the trip!

And me? I'm a zone meter vet - I'm fine with zones. I understand them. Meters probably will save me money going from work to clients' offices. But meters are going to put cabs out of the reach of a lot of people who use them now to travel long distances in areas with little metro or bus access. You know, the poor.

2 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Blogger Roy, Dublin Taxi Driver said...

I love my meter, it cuts out any argument about the fare.
All drivers learn to love their meter

 
At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The arguments now will come as a result of drivers wanting to take one route because it is faster and passengers wanting to take another because it is shorter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home