Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Vouchers?

I was thinking the other day about vouchers. In the early 90s I volunteered at our local AIDs clinic as a buddy (paired one on one with a person with AIDs). My buddy was a woman who had a habit of sliding in and out of rehab, in and out of housing, I adored her, but she was a handful :). I remember the clinic gave her taxi vouchers that she could use to get rides to the hospital and other therapy that she needed to go to.

Do other cities do taxi vouchers? How do drivers feel about them? Get them much? I think it's such a wonderful thing from a rider stand point -- so people who need rides that they can't otherwise get can have them. But was wondering what the drivers thought.

2 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Blogger Crabbie said...

We use them, my company has most of the major accounts in town locked up, for both passengers and deliviries.

A lot of drivers don't like them because they have to, like, take all the time (a minute or two) to fill out information. I don't mind that much.

One annoyance with people who use vouchers or a company charge account is that they don't tip all that often. Which I was raised to believe is INCREDIBLY rude. Now I just take it as par for the course. It's entirely understandable when a poor person is getting a ride home from the hospital, but an entirely different matter when the newspaper is paying for your ride to the airport (and you can even add a tip to the voucher!), and you don't give the cabbie a cent.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Cabbie X said...

My company uses them. White bird, the local no/low income medical services organization, calls us and gives the pickup details. We just fill out a small charge slip. Like Crabbie says, tips are extremely rare, but its pretty much a sure thing so I don't mind them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home