Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Gypsy Cabs

When I was a kid, I remember my mom or dad saying when we'd get out of a cab that it was a gypsy. I'm not sure what tipped it off for them, I really don't remember. Once and a while I wonder if I'm in a gypsy cab in DC. I've been in cabs that could not possibly have passed any vehicle inspection, is that a gypsy cab? Or a driver who has paid someone off? Who knows. And what makes a gypsy cab? One that has all the right markings by not a "H" car license plate? Or a real cab that is being driven by the driver's friend/relative for extra cash? Are there fewer of them around today than in the 80s?

3 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a gypsy cab is a vehicle unlicensed for taxi use. it gets flagged or called by people "in the know", by word-of-mouth - not by overt advertising.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger brokemoto said...

A gypsy, in Washington, is a no-radio cab. The kind to which you refer is called an 'illegal'. In many cases, yes, it's the legal driver's brother-in-law or cousin who is moonlighting. In most cases, the vehicle is properly licenced, but the driver AIN'T.

There is also a growing number of Prince George's cabs hacking in the City. You should never ride in an illegal cab. If there is a collsion that is the fault of the illegal and you are injured, there is no insurance coverage.

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was some kind of classic thing ..

Vehicle Inspection

 

Post a Comment

<< Home