Thursday, July 05, 2012

Yes, I am still here. And still riding in cabs (far less often, and for far more money, more on that later). As of almost a year ago, you can now call me Mrs. DC Cab Rider, but for ease of use reasons, I will continue to use my maiden name. A new job, a wedding (note to prospective brides, courthouse weddings rule! You still get all the gifts and you don't spend your life savings on a silly party), and other life changes. But still in DC.

And that brings me to riding cabs. The cost when I started blogging for a cab from home to downtown was $12. Remember the Zone System? So then cabs got meters and a price raise. My cost went up to $17. To save that $5 I rode fewer cabs. And as a result drivers screamed poverty (really? a raise = poverty?) and got another raise. Now my cost is $25 on good days. I've broken the $30 barrier twice. Drivers are now bitching to me that they can't charge extra for more passengers. They don't bitch about it long because I hit them with the "are you NUTS?!! I'm screwed at these prices and you're bitching about this 2nd raise?"

Have you heard about Uber? I have. I like Uber. I use Uber. It's about the same cost, but without the feeling that I'm being played. More down the road when I'm not pissed off (yeah, had a $34 cab ride today - so venting).



3 Comments:

At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for patronising Uber and its unlicenced drivers, vehicles and service. Uber competes unfairly. Not its drivers, not its vehicles, not its service are necessarily licenced. It is totally unregulated. Taxicabs and limousines are overregulated and required to have licences for the driver, vehicle and company. Uber suffers no such requirement or regulation.

If Uber want to compete, let it do so under the same overregulation that burdens the cabs and limousines. Let them have their business affairs micromanaged by the District.

....and people wonder why some call them DEMONcrats or DemonRATs.

Someone must have paid off somebody, somewhere. Whoever invented the word 'kleptocracy' was being redundant.

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger Airdrie City Taxi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home