Sunday, May 07, 2006

When There Was Always a Cab When I Never Wanted One

I lived near the 7-11 on Columbia Road for several years. It was at a time when I was too poor to afford metro and buses, let alone cabs. I walked pretty much everywhere, except when I had to go to the airport, then I inflicted myself on friends. Well the 7-11 triangle area up there was cabbie heaven. Always several hanging out there or driving by.

One time, I had my suitcases and had taken them with me to meet my friend out on Columbia Rd. She was running late, and I thought it would be faster to meet her there. So there I am on Columbia Rd. with two suitcases and a cab stopping for me every few seconds. Not just going by, but actually stopping. One guy hopped out and headed for my luggage, while I was madly shaking my head and standing in front of it.

For the 15 minutes it took my friend to get there, I was the most popular person on the planet, at least in cab world. It started to freak me out so much at one point I considered dragging the suitcases back to my place and missing the flight LOL. Yes, can laugh about it now. Was pretty freaky at the time.

3 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger Mad Cabbie said...

Did you know that about 15 years ago it used to be a Somalian cabbies hang out and one of the Somali cabbie's wife showed up with a loaded gun and shot him in the ass and chased him down to 18th and california and she finished him off in front of Kilimanjaro night club. Then she dropped the gun and lite a cigarette till the cops showed up.Now that 7-11 turned into Ethiopian hang out. Ethiopians are honest hard workers, polite and very peaceful until you try to mess around with their pretty women, I crossed that line years ago and got my ass kicked, and those little bastards can fight too. Thats why avoid that stupid seven eleven, it brings back unpleasent flash backs!

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger MJ06 said...

In Cleveland most of are cab drivers from what I heard on the news are african immigrants which would make sence because there is this Somolian Restarant that opened up a year or two ago out side of the airport about a mile north of the airport actually and every time I go by it and it is opened there are always 3-12 cabs in the parking lot.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger DC Cab Rider said...

Somolian. Sounds interesting. Good food? I LOVE the Ethiopian restaurants we have in DC. There are a couple really good ones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home