Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Security

I know that security is a major issue for drivers. There certainly have been far too many reports I've noticed in my years in DC of drivers being robbed, hurt and even killed. I know here there are a few different ways cabbies have used to try and make their situation better. Two of them are more, I guess what I'd call passive. Having a 911 / call police alert light on the top of the cab that the drive can switch on in case of need. And having a camera mounted in the front that photographs the passengers.

The other, which is more common in NYC for sure, is the large partition that separates driver from passenger. I don't know which, if any, are the best, but I do know that the large partition has been problematic for my friends & I once. We hailed a cab that had one, and my friend who is 6"+ couldn't sit in the back, his legs wouldn't fit since the partition takes up the leg room. The driver just had him come sit up front, which was fine for us, but not something I'm sure any driver would want to do on a regular basis, since that defeats the purpose of the thing.

1 Comments:

At 7:22 PM, Blogger Paradise Driver said...

The NYC camera system has had some positive results.

A young hoodlum walked into his local police precinct station. Purpose was to arrange bail for an associate.

The officer looked at him and then glanced down. Lo and behold, taped to the officers side of the counter was a wanted poster for a cab robber, the picture taken by an in-cab camera, and it was the same scumbag standing in front of him. He didn't pass "GO" and didn't collect his "$200".

I've said it many times, there isn't such a thing as "Lex Luthor" in the real world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home