Friday, February 23, 2007

Unloved, Unwanted, Unclean?

I swear, I took a shower! I had a breath mint, I don't think I stink or appear unwashed. But now that I live on Conn. Ave. north of the metro, cab drivers don't like me so much. I moved recently after my building was sold out from under me. I'm in a 2-br with a friend and this apt. is our compromise for where we work. Anyhow, I've tried to get a cab home from work a couple of times since I moved and I've been turned down. No, legally they're not supposed to do that, but nobody wants to go from Capital Hill to upper Conn. Ave. There's a bus up the street from the metro, but the walk from my office to the metro is too many dark scary streets for me late at night.

I got into two different cabs on different nights. Told the driver my address and each time was turned down! The first guy said he was just on his way home when he stopped for me. I argued with him for a bit and finally got him to drive me to the metro stop. The second guy just started shaking his head saying "too far, too far" and waved me out of the cab. Just as I was getting out, a second cab was coming along, so I waved him down. He rolled down the window and asked "why didn't you take him?" (the 1st cab). I didn't know how to answer for a minute. If I say my apt. was too far away, does this guy drive off too? But I couldn't think of anything else to say, so I said that. The guy said get in, that's just wrong of him!! What a sweet heart! And you can bet he got as big a tip as I could afford!

And no, this wasn't during the snow & ice mess. So that wasn't any excuse.

4 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger Pagan Marbury said...

My understanding is that, once your butt is in the seat, they have to take you anywhere within a certain milaege. I think it's like 100 miles because it includes Dulles, Baltimore or Richmond. If they ask out the window and don't like your answer, they can drive off, but once you are in the car they have to take you.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Mad Cabbie said...

DCCR, act like a Washingtonian will you? You should refuse to get out of the cab and warn the driver that you would call the police if he doesn't get his act together! You do have a cell phone don't you?

How is life in Cleveland Park?

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger John said...

There's so many cabs in Dublin that they would drag you in for a fare.
Sit in the cab and say DRIVE MTHRf

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger DC Cab Rider said...

I wish I had the confidence of some of you guys. All I can think is that the driver is a big guy and I'm a short (high heels are our friends) woman and they could toss me out of their cabs with one hand. I don't know. I want the confidence to sit there and say "drive me where I need to go or I'm calling the cops," but then I figure the cops would laugh at me, the driver would toss me out while driving on a highway and ... yes, that's the way my mind works.

Cleveland Park, MC? That's a bit south of me. That would be a nice place to live. We live among lots of senior citizens. It's dull, dull, DULL here. I'm getting out as soon as the lease is up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home