Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Calling Cab 111

I don't know who drives cab #111 (and I didn't pay attention to company, it was diamond or yellow). Anyhow, was riding in a cab some nights back and the driver left the radio on loud enough for me to hear, which was an interesting exchange. The dispatcher was getting really PO'd at whoever was driving one-eleven. Since we can only hear the dispatcher's side of the conversation, it went something like this (to my best memory):

"No, not you one-eleven, this is not your fare. I told you that."
"One-eleven, stay out of that.
"One-eleven, I'm not going to talk to you anymore until you straighten up."
"No, it's one-eleven, he thinks I'm listening to him."
Some more comments, to other drivers about addresses and pick ups for a couple of minutes, then
"One-eleven won't shut up."
"Call the owner one-eleven, he'll tell you the same thing."
"No, that's the right address, ignore one-eleven."
"One-eleven, you're not getting any more fares tonight, turn off your radio."
"One-eleven just won't shut up."
Then he goes back to talking to other drivers. I think that was the last I heard of cab one-eleven that night.

3 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Paradise Driver said...

Car #111 should have his radio pulled.

Be thankful that you could only hear the dispatcher's side of the conversation. I bet #111 violated more FCC rules about "language" than the whole fleet did all week.

Sounds to me as if #111 was trying to steal someone else's dispatched fare. "Poaching".

Obviously, the cab company uses a "simple-duplex" setup for their radios. The cars can only hear their dispatcher broadcasting on channel "A" and he only monitors the cabs on channel "b". Thats a very practical but very outdated system.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Mad Cabbie said...

Wil, Outdated? is an understatement. The radio system that Diamond and Yellow have was installed, let me see, I think a guy named JFK was the president.

DC CAB RIDER it could not be Diamond 111, The driver of that cab is probably one of the most quiet guys in the fleet, he doesn't talk to no one. Potential serial killer? Maybe, but fights with dispatchers? NO.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger DC Cab Rider said...

Potential serial killer LOL -- I feel better already!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home