Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Stopping & the Law (or not)

Tonight I flagged a cab. He stopped and rolled down the window to ask where I was going. I said Adams Morgan and he waved me in. I couldn't resist asking, so what, you're avoiding an area? He said, Wisconsin Avenue & Connecticut at Van Ness had bad traffic and he didn't want to go there. I couldn't help wondering what if that is where I wanted to go -- he would have said no and driven off before I got in the cab.

That is illegal. I think. I broached that concept to him gently, and he got very terse and went on and on about time is gas is money is ... which I understand. But also the law is the law.

or not ;)

3 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger Paradise Driver said...

This one falls under:
============================
KYLE'S THREE "R"s

RIGHT
WRONG

and
REALITY


REALITY ISN'T INHERENTLY RIGHT OR WRONG. ITS JUST THE WAY THE WORLD WORKS.
============================

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Mad Cabbie said...

DC CAB RIDER, I think I agree with you, the law is the law, if I don't like it I should find some other line of work. You know how DC streets could be dangerous, I have never rolled down my window and asked for passengers destination, I had all kind of scarey looking mother f***ers in my back seat and most of them turn out to be nice guys, they go to shitty part of town and they might not tip at all but they need a ride home, and thats my job. I have a degree in mathematics UMD 1986, I could have done diffrent things in life but I stumbled in to cab driving life and you know what, I love every minute of it. I am not rich but I make a good living, I know my attitude could get me killed one of these days, so what? I had a great life. I can understand some cabbies concern for their safety but also the law is the law, if you can't stand the heat get the f**k out of the kitchen.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger DC Cab Rider said...

And I could see that, it's dangerous. But as you say, they need the ride and we both know how bad metro & bus service can be in some areas. But the streets this guy named were Wisconsin & Connecticut, hardly dangerous areas of town, and he said it was because of rush hour traffic. Back to the zones vs. meter debate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home