Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Zone vs. Meters - Take 2

I see most of our driver bloggers chose meters. I have asked lots of cab drivers in DC that question over the years, and most of them say they prefer zones. Some give a reason that they can pick up multiple passengers going to different destinations in one run. One said that he figured if the cab commission was investigating adding meters to DC cabs it was automatically a bad thing (not a great fan of the commission) so he'd chose zones.

As a passenger, I'm torn. On days when I'm just going a few blocks in a rush to get something done, then it's annoying paying $6.50. On the other hand, I was stuck in traffic behind an accident a couple of weeks ago and it turned what is usually a 15 min. trip into a 30 minute one.

If I was a tourist, I'd probably hate the zone system, because without understanding where the zones begin/end, I'd be at the mercy of the drivers.

1 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Blogger Mad Cabbie said...

Meter is the civilized way to go, the problem is, as most human beings are, cabbies also hate changes, we are stuck in are own little commfort zone with this zone system. Personaly I really don't care either way, it's beyond my control, I will try to do my best what ever happens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home